Welcome to Topsham Tales, the official blog of Topsham Public Library. Join the staff of Topsham for news, reviews and discussion.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Favorite Banned Books by Cyndi


When thinking about what to write for our banned book week blog, it occurred to me that many of my favorite books have come under the censorship spotlight.  I was a young teenager when I read The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier for the first time.  Cormier’s book was so remarkably different from anything I had read up to that point.   The adult characters were far from perfect, the lead character was flawed and not always likable, life was portrayed as often unfair and the ending was not a happy one!  To this day I still think about that book.

From the pages of The Chocolate War and other books by Cormier, I explored the wild with Jack London and Joseph Conrad, shivered my way through many Stephen King’s novels, felt the sadness of Ernest Hemmingway’s characters and still try to wrap my mind around the senselessness of the crime committed in Truman Capote’s story In Cold Blood.  

For me, the definition of a great book is when I continue to carry a piece of the story with me long after the last page has been read.

No comments:

Post a Comment